AFCON 2023: Yoane Wissa’s heroic send DR Congo to the ½ after edging Guinea

DR Congo’s win sets up a final-four encounter with either Mali or tournament hosts Ivory Coast on Wednesday.

Yoane Wissa helped book DR Congo a trip to the Africa Cup of Nations semi-finals with a second-half spot-kick in their 3-1 last-eight victory over Guinea.

The Syli National had hoped to move one step closer to securing a first-ever trophy in the continental competition, and took an early lead through Mohamed Bayo’s penalty.

DR Congo captain Chancel Mbemba levelled things up before the break, after which Brentford’s Wissa took full advantage of Julian Jeanvier’s punishment with a powerful penalty of his own.

Arthur Masuaku netted the Leopards’ third directly from a late free-kick to wrap up the win and set up a final-four encounter with either Mali or tournament hosts Ivory Coast on Wednesday.

It was a lively start from Guinea, who quickly broke into their opponents’ penalty area and shouted for a handball when the ball bounced off the upper arm of Mbemba, with VAR ruling the contact was innocent.

Miscommunication between Guinea keeper Ibrahim Kone and defender Mouctar Diakhaby nearly spelled danger, both thinking the other had a handle on a loose ball, but Wissa could not capitalise on the early chance and fired wide.

Samuel Moutoussamy tried next for DR Congo, finding himself in plenty of space but only able to muster a weak effort, Diakhaby redeeming himself with the clearance.

Bayo toppled down inside the 18-yard box after making contact with Mbemba and, after some time, Algerian referee Mustapha Ghorbal pointed to the spot despite protests from the DR Congo players and manager Sebastien Desabre.

Bayo did not waste the chance, sending Lionel Mpasi the wrong way with a strike to the top-right corner for the 21st-minute opener.

The sides were back on level terms just six minutes later, when Guinea could not fully clear Masuaku’s corner and it proved costly when Marseille man Mbemba reacted quickly and lashed home the equaliser.

The Leopards had a chance to take a late first-half lead when Masuaku floated in a free-kick from the left touchline, narrowly missing Cedric Bakambu’s outstretched boot.

DR Congo had the better early chances after the break, but neither side could find a way to break the deadlock by the hour mark, when both managers made changes and Guinea substitute Facinet Conte scuppered his chance to make an instant impact.

Less than a minute later, DR Congo’s own substitute Silas Katompa Mvumpa was brought down by Jeanvier and Wissa stepped up, calmly powering past Ibrahim Kone as his side took a 65th-minute lead.

It was all over when  Masuaku’s 82nd-minute free-kick dipped under the crossbar and in.








Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *