Antony loan Saga: No truth to Manchester United swap deal links


image_pdfimage_print

Antony will not be leaving Manchester United to join Flamengo on loan, sources have told 90min.

The 23-year-old has been linked with a return to Brazil after failing to provide a goal contribution in any of his 11 appearances this season.

United have struggled to find any kind of consistency during 2023/24, with defeat to Newcastle in the Carabao Cup last Wednesday their eighth reverse in all competitions, and the pressure is mounting on manager Erik ten Hag to get the best out of Antony and his other attacking talent.

Recent reports have suggested that United are willing to send the Brazilian out on loan in a bid to sign Flamengo forward Gabriel Barbosa, but sources have told 90min that there’s been no contract between the clubs.

Indeed, 90min understands that Antony, whose agent told Brazilian outlet O Globo there was “zero chance” of a move happening, has no ambition to leave United at this point and believes he has the full backing of Ten Hag, who pushed hard to complete a deal last summer that could eventually be worth more than £80m to Ajax.

United are also not interested in parting ways with Antony and are instead keen to help him recapture his best form.

Antony kicked off his United career in promising fashion, scoring in his first three Premier League games against Arsenal, Manchester City and Everton, but he has added just one more goal in 30 further appearances in the top flight.

Amid growing concerns over his drop in performance levels, Antony has also been the subject of domestic abuse allegations from a former girlfriend and two other women. To date, no charges have been brought against him.

As for Gabriel Barbosa, more commonly known as Gabigol, he does have long-standing interest from clubs in Europe, and was previously a major target for Newcastle United and West Ham United.

Flamengo, winners of the Copa Libertadores in 2019 and 2022, would prefer to keep the 27-year-old striker, but are aware that the player has growing interest from the Saudi Pro League and may be subject of a January bid.

What we know

  • Antony linked with shock return to Brazil after struggling at Old Trafford
  • The 23-year-old has scored just four Premier League goals for Manchester United
  • Flamengo’s Gabriel Barbosa linked with move.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *